Better Planning Network (BPN) is a state wide, volunteer-based, not for profit incorporated community organisation. Established in 2012 in response to the then O'Farrell Government's proposed planning reforms that prioritised developer profits over the public interest, today the BPN network has more than 100 member and affiliated groups, as well as hundreds of individual supporters.
Our aim is for a robust and visionary planning system for NSW - one that fosters best practice environmental, heritage, social sustainability and design outcomes. To that end, the Planning for People Charter A Community Charter for Good Planning in NSW was developed by a coalition of community and environmental peak bodies. Supported by the Greens, Labor and Christian Democrats, we hope that the Coalition government will similarly support the Charter, which five principles are key to good planning outcomes for NSW.
BPN does not support any specific political party. BPN Members, Affiliates, Friends and Supporters consist of individuals both non affiliated and affiliated with a political party. BPN encourages all to be actively involved in their community and support policies from political parties where these seriously address better planning for NSW.
More specifically, BPN advocates the following:
- Community wellbeing (which goes beyond just economic growth) must be at the heart or our planning system.
- Community engagement in decision-making is essential at every stage of the planning process.
- Protecting our environment, natural and cultural heritage is fundamental to the wellbeing of our communities.
- Development must comply with evidenced-based strategic planning instruments.
- Infrastructure must go hand in hand with development.
- Minimising corruption must be a priority for our new planning system.
You can read our full platform here.
BPN membership or affiliation is open to community groups. You can also join our network as an individual Friend of BPN Click here to find out more.
To contact us:
Email [email protected]
ABN: 29 827 789 807